Religion really unimportant

Mr. Sain’s article about politicians using religion for personal gain fell short of the whole problem. First, you complain about people who pretend to be religious just to get votes, and then you imply that voters should care about what religion a candidate is. Unfortunately, the only reason candidates do pretend to be more religious is because of people like you who vote for the most religious person regardless of the issues. We live in a society where it is impossible for a non-religious (notice how I didn’t say anti-religious; they’re not the same) person to get elected. This is very sad. Instead of complaining about politicians pretending to be religious, why don’t you tell people to pay attention to the issues so that the candidates don’t have to pretend?
There is nothing inherently wrong with a non-religious or non-Christian candidate. Once more for the record: Christianity does not imply morality; morality does not imply Christianity; immorality does not imply non-Christianity; and non-Christianity does not imply immorality. There is simply no connection between the two. For evidence see Hitler (Christian), or Gandhi (non-Christian). The religion of a candidate should never be considered in an election.