Remember the fallen Aggies

What is it that sets Texas A&M apart from other universities? One might say traditions do, but that cannot be so, for all universities have traditions. Or perhaps Texas A&M’s nationwide reputation for academic excellence and qualified graduates are responsible for its individuality. But then again, many other universities have this as well.
However, one thing is certain: Whatever comprises an Aggie is common to every person who ever has attended or is attending Texas A&M. This leads one to the conclusion that the universal Aggie Spirit among current and former students is what defines A&M. Although translating the Aggie Spirit into words is also difficult, it necessarily entails integrity, character and pride in the University, with a marked appreciation for the past, but also forward-looking optimism.
The Aggie Spirit is alive on campus. It is breathed and spoken by all students, exhibited by a friendly smile and a “howdy” from a member of the Corps of Cadets, a sea of swaying bodies, swirling white towels at a football game and the solemnity on the faces and hearts of every Aggie at Silver Taps and Muster. At football games in Kyle Field, Aggies stand together as the Twelfth Man to indicate their undying willingness to be called upon if needed.
Now is the time for such a summoning. Although it is perhaps true that the nature of the Aggie Spirit can “ne’er be told” with words, it can be demonstrated through actions. This Thursday, Aggies must step off the wood and act to preserve the spirit that defines them, that defines the institution they represent. The Bonfire Memorial is a tribute befitting the 12 Aggies who died for its cause and the University that they loved, and the student body’s attendance at its dedication ceremony is essential to maintain the characteristic that best defines A&M.