Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) shoots the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at Reed Arena.(Ishka Samant/The Battalion)
Projected Top 5 picks of the 2024 NBA Draft
Roman Arteaga, Sports Writer • June 25, 2024

In the 2024 NBA draft, there is an incredible amount of talent available for teams to pick. We have players from college basketball, G-League...

RHA meeting focuses on funds

After a lengthy and heated debate, the Residence Hall Association General Assembly voted down a resolution Wednesday condemning the group’s officers for abusing their authority and misspending RHA funds.
At issue was the decision by the RHA executive council to spend $500 on a half-page advertisement that ran in The Battalion rebutting criticisms of the organization leveled in a Feb. 18 opinion article by Battalion columnist Nicholas Neumann.
“Given the current budget constraints, spending that kind of money to dispute one naysayer seems extravagant and self-serving,” said James Murray, president of Clements Hall and a sponsor of the resolution.
Murray added that the officers’ action was indicative of what many on-campus residents feel is wrong with RHA.
“There is a sense among residents that RHA is worried too much about public relations instead of serving their constituents,” he said.
RHA President John Casares, said it was necessary to respond quickly to inaccuracies in Neumann’s column and that there was not sufficient time to consult the RHA assembly to approve the expenditure. He did not submit a letter to the editor because the officers were doubtful The Battalion would publish it, Casares said.
One delegate complained that Neumann’s criticism that the organization spends too much time bickering over internal matters was underscored by the tone of the debate.
When the resolution came to the floor, Casares stepped down as presiding officer and handed the gavel to RHA parliamentarian Jessie Miller, who admonished the delegates to refrain from personal attacks.
“This is getting personal, and we need to quit the sarcasm and rude comments,” Miller said.
Despite the contentious debate, Casares said there would be no lasting division among RHA leaders.
“We needed to have this dialogue, and at the end of the day, we’re all Aggies,” he said.
The resolution was the only legislation the assembly took up at its meeting.