Ring day brings tangible evidence to hard work

For many upperclassmen, Friday’s bright atmosphere may be due to more than the sunny forecast -for the first time, they will get to flash their new Aggie rings.
Kathryn Greenwade, Class of 1988 and vice president for communication and human resources for the Clayton Williams Alumni Center, said 4,100 students are expected throughout the day, making Friday the center’s largest Aggie Ring Day.
Greenwade said the day is big for students because of the anticipation that has been building since before many even began their first class.
“It’s a milestone that students look forward to from fish camp or maybe even from their new student conference,” she said.
Tyler Stamps, junior industrial distribution major, said upperclassmen look forward to getting their rings because of all the work that goes into getting one.
“I think it’s a pretty big deal,” Stamps said. “It’s about being a part of the Aggie family and the academic achievement.”
Because of the academic requirements that must be met and the Aggie family it represents, Greenwade said the Aggie ring becomes an important indication of hard work and high standards.
“It’s such a visible symbol of the Aggie network and spirit and it’s not something easily obtained,” Greenwade said. “It symbolizes our core values and what’s important to us as Aggies.”
Jessica Demny, junior industrial distribution major, will be one of the students receiving an Aggie ring on Friday.
Demny said she will recognize the big accomplishment as she puts on her ring, but the significance of the moment and what it represents will take more time to fully process.
“I’m going to be thinking, ‘Is this real life?'” Demny said. “I’ve never felt like I would actually get my ring. It feels like yesterday I was a freshman going to my first ring ceremony. It’s incredible and unbelievable.”
The greatest part about getting the ring, Demny said, is being aware that her time here at A&M will soon come to an end and the next phase of life will begin.
“The most exciting part is the knowledge that the end is in sight, we’ve worked so hard to get to this point,” she said. “[The ring is] just the symbol that we’re growing up and there’s a purpose to your goals. It proves that life is going to keep going.”