Ringing in the new semester

While the construction of all Aggie Rings are the same, there are options such as antiquing and inserting a diamond to personalize one’s ring.

The Association of Former Students is preparing for the next order session of Aggie Rings.
Students who order their ring in the upcoming session, Aug. 20 through Sept. 7, will receive their rings on Nov. 2. The Aggie Ring dates back to 1889 and is one of the most prestigious traditions at Texas A&M University.
It has become a token of the Aggie Spirit, according to Kathryn Greenwade, vice president of communications and human resources at the Association of Former Students.
“The Aggie Ring is easily the most visible symbol of the Aggie Network,” Greenwade said. “It’s a symbol that unites Aggies and shows the importance of the milestone, and it’s something to anticipate.”
Greenwade, Class of 1988, said each ring’s meaning is unique to its owner, thanks to their memories at the university.
“With the experiences that people have, it’s all about what goes into them at A&M. It makes this so much more than just a piece of jewelry,” Greenwade said. “It’s more about what it represents than what it actually is.”
According to Greenwade, during the five-week order period, over 5,000 rings are ordered and over 200 students visit the Association daily to complete the order process.
Every element of the Aggie Ring is symbolic its own way. The top of the ring features a shield, which symbolizes the protection of the reputation of the alma mater. There are 13 stripes and five stars found in the shield. The stripes represent the 13 original states and the stars show the five Aggie phases in development.
Katherine Scarmardo, Class of 2009, is the Aggie Ring coordinator and helps complete the order process. She said there is much more than gold in an Aggie Ring.
“I was a transfer student here and I can definitely say you feel the sweat, tears, and emotions from within when you receive this,” Scarmardo said.
To start the order process, students must verify their eligibility and schedule an appointment. To be eligible, students must have 90 credit hours completed, 45 of which must be completed at A&M.
Agricultural communications and journalism senior Mackenzie Grace Gramling recently ordered her ring in June and will receive it on the upcoming Ring Day on Sept. 21.
“Going through the process has been long awaited,” Gramling said. “It’s pretty surreal. I am the seventh Aggie in my family to go on and get my ring, and being solidified in that group is special.”
Gramling said her upcoming Ring Day will represent her family’s decision to support her and her dedication to her studies.
“When Ring Day comes, it’s going to be very emotional, knowing how much my parents have supported me. I know it’s going to be overwhelming with all the work that has gone into this,” Gramling said.