Riverdance’ star faces rape lawsuit

WAUEGAN, Il. (AP) — “Riverdance” star Michael Flatley is being sued for $35 million by a woman who claims he raped her in a Las Vegas hotel. The lawsuit was filed Tuesday in Lake County on behalf of a Chicago-area real estate agent who says she flew to Las Vegas to visit Flatley in October.
The lawsuit says the woman, whose name was not revealed, was in the private bedroom area of Flatley’s suite at the Venetian Resort Hotel-Casino when he raped her.
Fatley’s lawyer, Bert Fields, called the allegations “absolutely false.”
“There is no truth to it whatsoever. The evidence to that effect is overwhelming,” Fields said.
Fields said the woman threatened months ago to claim Flatley had raped her unless he paid her. He said Flatley refused to pay.
Lt. Jeff Carlson of the Las Vegas Police Department said Wednesday that the woman reported the alleged attack to police but declined to press charges.
Dean Auro, an attorney for the woman, said she met the 44-year-old dance star at an event in Las Vegas in September. Mauro said Flatley invited her to visit him for a day of sightseeing, shopping and gambling.