Robert Kaplan to speak on Economic Conditions and the Role of Monetary Policy

Kaplan at a previous speaking event.

Featuring the president and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas Robert Kaplan as the speaker, the lecture “Conversations in Public Policy: Economic Conditions and the Role of Monetary Policy” will fall in line with a continuing series that began over a year ago.

Each event of the series on public policy invites a subject matter expert pertaining to the specified field of interest.

Hosted by the Mosbacher Institute for Trade, Economics, and Public Policy at the Bush School of Government and Public Service, the informative event will be held at the Annenberg Presidential Conference Center covering the topic of monetary policy Monday evening.

Associate professor and director of the Mosbacher Institute Lori Taylor stated that the hope is that the significance behind the event will extend to more than merely students, and further to the community.

“The purpose is to help Bush school students and the rest of the Aggie community and the rest of our audience to understand the complex policy issues of our time,” Taylor said. “This time President Kaplan from the Dallas Fed is coming to speak on economic conditions and monetary policy.”

Before coming to Texas A&M, Taylor served as the economist and policy advisor at the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas and will be moderating the question and answer session with Kaplan.

“We are thrilled that President Kaplan was able to join us on Monday evening and we anticipate extenuating conversation,” Taylor said. “Because it’s his preferred format, we’re actually going to do the whole thing as just a question and answer event with me doing the questioning.”

Regarding the organization of the question and answer session, Taylor said the majority of questions will be directly asked by the audience.

“So people who have questions from the audience will have an opportunity to write them on a card and intersperse their questions with those from me,” Taylor said. “But the entire event will be President Kaplan responding to questions.”

Taylor expressed that everyone is welcome, and that she looks forward to the impact the lecture will have on those who attend.

“I hope they’ll walk away with an understanding of the way that monetary policy and fiscal policy interact with our market economy,” Taylor said. “I hope that they’ll come away from it understanding the complexity of policy and the important issues, so that they themselves will not be surprised when policies change.”

The event will take place at 5:30 p.m. and RSVP is highly recommended for attendance. To register, go to https://bush41.org/m-events-listing.