Roblyer to speak at Campus Muster

Photo by Meredith Seaver

Dwight Roblyer, Class of 1984, will deliver the keynote speech at the 2019 Campus Muster.

Political science lecturer and retired Air Force Col. Dwight Roblyer, Class of 1984, will deliver the keynote speech at the 2019 Aggie Muster ceremony in Reed Arena on April 22.  
Speaker executive David Pham said Roblyer was selected because of his commitment to Aggie core values, his dedication to his country and community and his recognized efforts to go above and beyond as an educator.
“He has always lived a life of service and a life that is very focused on being integrous,” Pham said. “Students who have taken his classes know that Dwight Roblyer is more than just an educator.”
Pham said much of the student body knows Roblyer as the instructor who opens his home to Aggies who don’t have a place to go for Thanksgiving. He also serves on the Aggie Honor Council and often emphasizes the importance of integrity.
“When you see Dwight Roblyer, you know that there is no tarnish to his name,” Pham said.
Roblyer said the Muster subcommittee contacted his wife and arranged a dinner under the pretense that he would be meeting with students who needed help with a decision.
“The Muster subcommittee took great glee in how surprised I was,” Roblyer said. “What they told me is that I was selected because I embody Aggie values, which is a very pleasant thing to be told. I think one of the things that I hear from students is that my efforts to try and make them understand that I really care about them, as individuals and as who they are going to become, really resonates.”
Roblyer said Muster remains an incredibly meaningful tradition as it offers Aggies a chance “to mark the relationships that we did have, the relationships that we do have and the relationships that we will have.”
In addition to the many Aggies being honored, this year’s Campus Muster will also be celebrating the lives of President George H.W. Bush and his wife Barbara Bush.
“I think Muster is a very special but also a very unique thing that we do here,” Roblyer said. “George H.W. Bush was my commander in chief for the entire time that he served as our president. I was active duty Air Force at the time.”
Despite the high-profile additions, Muster Committee Chair Helena Shakesby said everyone being honored at the ceremony will be recognized equally.
“[The Bushes] are definitely people of impact in the Aggie family, as with other people we will be honoring this year,” Shakesby said. “Every Aggie family’s legacy is just as important to us.”