Rock the Quad supports Harvey relief

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

Clayton Gardner, Class of 2017, was the headliner for Friday night’s Rock the Quad. 

Rock the Quad was held Friday Nov. 3 to celebrate the completion of the renovations and provide funds for Hurricane Harvey relief efforts.
The event included a raffle, food vendors and live country music performed by Clayton Gardner, Class of 2017, and Prairie Switch, a local band including two current cadets.
While the focus of the event was to give support towards those affected by Harvey, it was also meant to bring people to the Quad who would normally not go there, according to business junior and Corps public relations sergeant Jacob Kalinke.
“I want more people to be comfortable with the Quad and I want people to have a good time,” Kalinke said. “This is our first year doing it, so we really didn’t know what to expect, but I’ve been really pleased with the turnout. We see a lot of people who are not in the Corps show up, I’m really excited to see how much money we raised for Hurricane Harvey relief.”
Rebekah James, recreation, parks and tourism sciences senior and Corps public relations officer said part of the goal was to make the Corps a more approachable part of the campus community.
“I feel like an outsider’s perception of the Corps is that we’re all serious all the time, but we actually enjoy being like everyone else, and what brings people together better than music and food? It’s just our chance to invite people to our home, like a block party,” James said.

• Several food trucks were on the Quad for Friday night’s Rock the Quad, including Gig Em &  Go, Blake’s Steaks and Pita Pit. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Clayton Gardner opens up his set with a shout out to all the Aggies in attendance. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • A couple two-steps across the Quad Friday night at Rock the Quad.

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel
  • Prairie Switch, a local country band kicked off the festivities Friday night. Members include Construction Science senior  Adam Hill on violin, Civil Engineering senior Nick Jasek on Bass, Brylan Crivellari on vocals and guitar, and Communication junior Koy R. Kresta on guitar. 

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel