The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

Rodeo team heads to nationals

Although they do not have as high of a profile as some sports on campus, the Texas A&M Rodeo team has been a part of the A&M community for decades, said Al Wagner, faculty volunteer for the team.
“The All-Aggie Rodeo, which takes place in the fall, has been going on for 82 years; 1949 is when the (National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association) was put together and the first president was an Aggie,” Wagner said. “We’ve had a team ever since then.”
This year’s women’s team is one step closer to the regional National Championship after the Texas A&M Intercollegiate Rodeo held on Friday and Saturday at the Burleson County Fairgrounds. The men’s team also experienced success at the rodeo, said Wagner, professional and extension specialist at the University’s Texas Agricultural Extension Service.
“Our women’s team finished second overall to Sam Houston State,” Wagner said. “Amber Singleton finished second in goat tie-in. Jessica Baker and Elizabeth Sullivan finished first and second in barrels. Bonner Cooper, who is the regional director and national president of the NIRA, placed third in bronco riding.”
With the team’s recent success it looks to maintain its position on the way to the national championship, Wagner said.
“Our women’s team is leading the region right now and we should have maintained that position (after last weekend),” he said. “The national finals will take place in early June in Casper, Wyoming. There are eleven (NIRA) regions. The top two teams from each region go to the finals, as well as the top three individuals (in each event). We should have a women’s team qualify and Bonner Cooper will qualify for the bronc riding.”
The women’s team has a history of success. It has qualified for nationals the past two years and won the The women’s team has a history of success. It has qualified for nationals the past two years and won the national championship in 2002.
“This will be my second year to go (to the national championship),” said senior agricultural business major Bonner Cooper. “It’s taking the best of college rodeo to compete for a national championship. I finished in the top 15 in the nation last year, but didn’t do as well as I would have wanted to.”
Many of the rodeo team members have been around the rodeo for most of their lives.
“I’m a senior this year and I’ve been rodeoing (at the University) for four years,” said Amber Singleton, a senior animal science major who participates in breakaway rope and goat tie. “I also rodeoed all throughout high school. Most colleges have rodeo teams; no matter where I would have gone I would have rodeoed.”