Safe cycling in Aggieland

Photo by Paul Burke

To prevent a bike from being stolen, the frame and wheels should be entirely locked to one of 1,300 bike racks across campus.

Many of Texas A&M’s nearly 70,000 students use bikes on campus to get to their destination, so learning the rules and laws about cycling is crucial.
Blake Hosler, a mechanical engineering sophomore, was hit by a car last semester while riding his bike across a crosswalk on campus. While he was not seriously injured, Hosler said the experience helped him learn more about bike safety.
“Now I wear a helmet when I’m biking to class, it makes me feel a bit safer,” Hosler said.
While helmets are not required, there are other mandatory regulations students must follow on campus.
Bikes must follow Texas Traffic Laws
A&M follows The Uniform Act of the Texas Traffic Laws, which means bikes operating on the road are seen as a vehicle and are obligated to follow the same laws cars do.
This includes stopping at stop signs and yielding to pedestrians, not riding bikes on the sidewalk and dismounting when crossing a crosswalk.
University Police Department Lieutenant Bobby Richardson said violations can result in citations. Fees can vary depending on the offense, but students should be aware that if they break the laws, they can be charged.
“If you receive a citation, you would have to go to court or pay a fine,” Richardson said.
Finding a space to park
Bikes must be properly parked and secured by cyclists in one of the 1,300 total racks or 13,000 bike parking spaces on campus.
Manager of Alternative Transportation Services Ron Steedly said the frame and wheels of the bike should be locked together to the rack to help prevent bikes from being stolen in parts or as a whole.
Bike Registration
Students can register their bikes online through the transportation services website. Students are required to place the proper registration sticker visibly on their bikes.
Registering bicycles can help the transportation services find stolen bikes and inform students when they need to move their bikes from a bike rack. The fee is $10 for students.
Dismount zones
Dismount zones are found around the MSC and Rudder Plaza. Cyclists are asked to walk their bikes in these zones to make it safe for other students walking through the area.
Steedly said students are typically respectful of the dismount zones and follow the rule.
More information about bike rules can be found at transport.tamu.edu/alternative/bicycles/statelaw.aspx.