San Antonio rains result in a death

AUSTIN – Heavy rains that drenched soggy Central Texas cleared Wednesday afternoon, but not before leaving parts of the region flooded.
“Everything that can flood is flooding,” Travis County Sheriff’s spokesman Roger Wade. “We’ve got people out patrolling to try to help anybody we can at the low-water crossings.”
Many areas around Central Texas and the Texas Hill Country received from 5 to 8 inches of rain from Sunday through Wednesday morning, said meteorologist Pat McDonald of the National Weather Service office in New Braunfels.
The weather was a factor in the death of a woman in San Antonio Tuesday evening when she was swept away by fast-moving floodwaters while trying to walk through a low-water crossing. The woman had tried to get out of the water but was then swept away, said Officer Joe Rios of the San Antonio Police Department.
Crews in Hays County on Wednesday delayed their search of the Blanco River between San Marcos and Kyle for Laurie Pineda, 24, who has been missing since Sunday. The car she had been driving was swept from a crossing over the river while she was trying to cross it. Pineda’s male passenger was rescued.