No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

A&M hosts 48-hour video game competition

Game+Jam
Game Jam

It can take months, even years to create a traditional video game, but Texas A&M students will work around the clock to create one in fewer than 48 hours.
“Chillenium,” the annual student Game Jam hosted by the Department of Visualization, gives participants a two-day time limit to plan, design and code a video game. This event brings game developers across the country and works to foster a collaborative environment where more than 150 participants can connect with experienced professionals.
Andre Thomas, a lecturer in the Department of Visualization, started working at Chillenium in 2014. He said Chillenium not only provides an atmosphere of learning and friendly competition but also an atmosphere of collaboration with peers.
“Not only are they learning to develop games in 48 hours — a process that normally takes an entire semester — they are connecting with like-minded people,” Thomas said.
Ben House, a visualization graduate student and a committee member for Chillenium, said winners will receive licenses for Unity Pro and Houdini Indie — software used for game development — and other participants can take part in raffles to win a computer tablet, gift cards and other prizes. House said Alienware Live — the computer hardware branch of Dell —  will be outside the complex Friday and Saturday.
“Alienware will be hosting their own gaming competitions, and giveaways before the Jam kicks off at 5 p.m.,” House said. “Side FX Software is also providing all participants three months of Houdini Indie for free, so they can use the incredible power of procedurally created content to make their games.”
Cameron Coker, a visualization graduate student, said Chillennium is only as good as the participation and support that they get from students, local businesses and the gaming community.
“This year we are lucky to have over 150 Texas A&M students registered for the event, more than 30 student and faculty volunteers and several local restaurants and businesses sponsoring the event,” Coker said. “This year the competitors and volunteers will really be astonished at just how much Chillenium has grown since last year.”
Coker said the program is expected to have its largest turnout from previous years.
“There’s more food, more industry mentors, bigger trophies, tougher competition — everything,” Coker said. “That amazing floor of support has catapulted Chillenium from a quickly growing backyard event to the largest student game jam in North America.”
Game Jam starts at 5 p.m. on Sept. 23 at the Thomas G. Hildebrand, DVM ’56 Equine Complex and will end 48 hours later on Sept. 25.