Career fair to break records

PROVIDED
PROVIDED

More than 7,300 students are expected to attend this week’s engineering career fair — the largest student-run career fair in the nation.
The Student Engineers’ Council, the organization in charge of hosting the event, expects 437 businesses to attend to recruit students for internships and jobs in engineering-related fields.
Michelle Wise, career fair co-chair and mechanical engineering senior, said the council began planning in February due to its size.
Andrew Blanchard, career fair co-chair and biological and agricultural engineering senior, said the career fair is not only unique for its size, but also because it is entirely student-run.
“This fair is extremely unique in the fact that it is entirely [run] and operated by students who want to give back, whereas most other universities rely on staff or faculty to organize their main recruiting events,” Blanchard said. “The success and the quality of this event is apparent to the students as well as the recruiters.”
Students have run the engineering career fair since 1991. Students and company recruiters fill Reed Arena for two days after a golf tournament and dinner, which allow a more intimate interaction between students and recruiters.
Melinda McClure, council president and chemical engineering senior, said the fair started to become one of the largest in the country when it was moved to Reed Arena.
“What makes this event so special is that volunteer student leaders are passionate about showcasing the exceptional talent that Texas A&M engineers students have to offer,” McClure said.
Katherine Farmer, recruiting specialist for Valero, said the council career fair is professionally run and showcases a student’s work ethic — important traits for getting hired.
“As a recruiter who attends career fairs nation-wide, it’s impressive to know this event is run by students,” Farmer said.
Civil engineering senior Tiffany Titone found an internship through the career fair.
“Do not think that you are too young to attend,” Titone said.
Petroleum engineering senior Thomas Read said through the relationship he formed at the golf tournament he was able to gain an internship with oil company Denbury Resources.
The career fair will kick off with a golf tournament Monday, followed by a welcome dinner at 7 p.m. The career fair will run from 9 a.m.– 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.