Expanding the engineering department

Photo by Photo by Paul Burke

The Wisenbaker Engineering Building on Texas A&M’s campus.

Six new faculty members have joined the staff of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Although varying in past experiences, Katherine Davis, Chao Tian, Dileep Kalathil, Hangue Park, Jeyavijayan Rajendran and Oscar Moreira all have a common denominator — they are now Aggies. Amongst the six, A&M has gained a professor of practice, an associate professor and four assistant professors. Development in the fundamentals of engineering systems, circuit design and cyber-security will be pursued with this recent addition.
The faculty members play a crucial role in fostering excellence in the students and their experience at Texas A&M, according to Senior Communications Specialist, Shraddha Sankhe. The ECEN department continually hires talented faculty members who will lead by example and strengthen the electrical and computer engineering program at Texas A&M University.
“Our new faculty members have brought their multidisciplinary research specializations to Texas A&M University and shown great potential in strengthening our undergraduate and graduate program,” Shraddha said. “For example, Dr. Kate Davis is teaching the ECEN 214 (Circuit Theory) class but also demonstrating our ability to form good long-term interdisciplinary collaborations that are needed to solve specific problems.”
One of the new professors, Davis received her Ph.D. in electrical engineering and power and energy systems at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and said she has worked on many interesting projects prior to joining A&M.
“The last project that was a big part of my life for the last four years was called Cyber-Physical Modeling and Analysis/Cyber-Physical Situational Awareness, CPSA,” Davis said. “Smart Wires was another company that I previously worked for before joining this university. I worked with them to get their devices integrated into power system software and then would look at how to use them in order to optimize the operation of the power system.”
Further west from Illinois, Kalathil received a Ph.D. in electrical engineering at the University of Southern California in 2014. The new assistant professor said working with the electrical and computer engineering department is what he is most looking forward to.
“My background is control theory and game theory,” Kalathil said. “I was looking for a place where there was an appreciation for interdisciplinary research. Texas A&M University is the perfect place for this, and my department is especially perfect for this kind of research.”
Davis, Kalathil and the professor of practice Moreira-Tamayo, said they agree on the competitive, yet respectful, atmosphere at A&M. Moreira-Tamayo graduated from A&M with a Ph.D. in 1996. Research plays an important role in Moreira-Tamayo’s life, he said, with analog circuit design and power management are two of his many research interests.
“I hope I can add value to the program and department of electrical and computer engineering,” Moreira-Tamayo said. “Basically, I think I can provide a different perspective, a research perspective, to the students. By me being here, I am an extra source of knowledge for the students. For me, being here is important because it gives me professional fulfillment. For example, I get to make a difference in what I do with every day.”
Jeyavijayan Rajendran, an assistant professor, said he will be part of the Cybersecurity Center. He said he will be working with other faculties to make this center a top one in the nation, and also will be leading the hardware security research efforts at A&M. Rajendran said he is inspired by students and the creativity that accompanies.
“A&M has a long tradition of producing outstanding students and employing renowned faculty,” Rajendran said. “I like the innovation that come from young minds. I am proud and excited to work with these eminent scholars. Of course, the “midnight yell” and the hospitality of the BCS residents are admirable.”
ECEN’s new associate professor, Chao Tian, said his ability to advise and teach will improve productivity in students.
“I hope to share the technical knowledge, the efficient ways of thinking, as well as the life lessons, all of which can be important to the students in the future,” Tian said. “I believe my research strength will be a valuable addition to Texas A&M. I’m also passionate about promoting STEM to both undergraduate and K-12 students. My past experience in industrial research lab will also help to bring a more diverse perspective in both research and teaching.”
Hangue Park, assistant professor, says that there is personal room for improvement in regards to teaching. He is inspired to interact with students and will provide them a new type of subject of research.
“I wish to add the exciting new area of research to Texas A&M, called integrated neuroprosthesis,” Park said. “I also try to share my excitement with students, through the class and conversation in my office. I wish more and more student to be excited with this area of research, because there are still a lot of things to explore.​”