Physics festival returns to A&M

Photo by Via TAMU Physics’ Flickr

During last year’s Physics and Engineering Festival, community members and students alike were able to explore the “fun side” of science.

From “magic bubbles” and “cryogenic cool stuff” to more serious attractions, physics will jump from the chalkboard into real life this weekend as A&M’s Physics and Engineering Festival takes over part of campus.
The annual Physics and Engineering Festival will be held Friday and Saturday. For the past decade, the Department of Physics and Astronomy and the Department of Aerospace Engineering have hosted the festival in an attempt to bring science to the masses. 
The event will be headlined by Sean Caroll, a research professor of theoretical physics at the California Institute of Technology. Caroll’s research focuses on dark energy, dark matter, space-time symmetries and the origin of the universe. Caroll has authored several books on these topics and has been a speaker for TED Talks.
Along with Sean Caroll’s lecture, there will be lectures presented by a variety of notable people, with nobel prize winners and astronauts alike. 
The festival also brings out interactive displays that people of all ages can partake in, including virtual reality tours of the Large Hadron Collider, low temperature extravaganzas and depth charge demonstrations. The festival works in part with a new program to the department called “Just Add Science,” which aims to introduce the public to scientific concepts in a fun and engaging way. 
The festival is completely free and will take place on Saturday April 9 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the George P. Mitchell ‘40 Physics Building.