Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) shoots the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at Reed Arena.(Ishka Samant/The Battalion)
Projected Top 5 picks of the 2024 NBA Draft
Roman Arteaga, Sports Writer • June 25, 2024

In the 2024 NBA draft, there is an incredible amount of talent available for teams to pick. We have players from college basketball, G-League...

Texas A&M Secular Students Alliance hosted climate change Q&A

Photo by Photo by Anthony Pangonas

Students attended the documentary screening and later asked questions during a panel regarding climate change.

The Texas A&M Secular Students Alliance (SSA) raise awareness about climate change, the environment and the relationship between science and religion among students and faculty at A&M through a recent Bill Nye documentary and a question and answer panel.
The A&M chapter of the SSA organized this documentary screening on climate change followed by a Q&A session on Thursday, Feb. 1. The event featured John Nielsen-Gammon, a Texas State Climatologist and regents professor at Texas A&M along with atmospheric science professor Sarah Brooks.
“This is our first public event and we are doing this with the hopes of raising awareness about global warming and climate change,” said Sean Shamgar, sophomore biomedical engineering sophomore and president of SSA. “We sold out all the tickets and are really excited about the event today.”
Shamgar said science is a genuine passion of his and Bill Nye has been an inspiration since childhood.
“I want to be like him and spread the knowledge of science,” Shamgar said who spent close to 4 months organizing the event.
Having a Texas State Climatologist present was a draw for psychology department research assistant Mark Britton.
“I want to hear a climatologist’s thoughts on the current events,” Britton said. “I don’t know what to expect from the event, but I do hope to learn something.”
The documentary titled “Bill Nye: Science Guy” was screened to start the event. The panelists took to the stage to express their opinions about the documentary after it concluded.
“I felt like there were parts we could’ve skipped over,” Brooks said. “Having said that, it was a nice insight into the life behind the screens of Bill Nye the science ambassador.”
Nielsen-Gammon said the issue of climate change is one which needs to be addressed urgently.
“I hope to be able to get information out there,” Nielsen-Gammon said. “People need to be educated about the impacts that we as humans are having on the environment around us. This includes all the animals we share this earth with too.”
One of the Q&A questions was “What is the best way to talk to someone with a skeptic mind about climate change?” While Brooks said sticking to the facts, not overstating them, having multiple conversations and being polite were important, Nielsen-Gammon said it is imperative to figure out the point of disagreement first.
Other questions were in regard to the religious overtones the discussion of climate change inevitably brings up.
“I am a practicing Roman Catholic,” Nielsen-Gammon said. “Religion is something that impacts our relationship with fellow humans. But, we cannot allow it to impede us from fighting climate change, if need be, together as a species.”
Brooks said that individuals can play a part and make a difference through small changes in everyday life.
“Ride your bike,” Brooks said. “Fly less and be a vegetarian.”