Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

SCONA raises, discusses questions of US empire

Student Conference of National Affairs had their final meeting of the year Wednesday on “The Rise and Fall of The U.S. Empire.”
Those who attended witnessed a debate between Department of Sociology graduate lecturer Robert Carley and assistant history professor Jason Parker. During the discussion, they focused on capitalism, globalization, the historic issues and the overall question; is the U.S. an empire?
“America’s empire is very unique”, Parker said. “Our best definition is what Thomas Jefferson said, ‘America is an empire of liberty.'”
Carley and Parker presented opposing statements. Both came to the theory that the U.S. is not in decline. However, the definition of an empire is questionable for historic and profitable reasons.
Parker compared the American Empire to the relationship of Donald Duck. “An empire is not a bad thing, it’s just a misunderstood definition.”
“SCONA’s main purpose is to bring national issues and affairs to the forefront of students,” said Chairwoman Stephanie Hinds, a freshman political science major.
She said they try to cover anything they think students should be aware of: politics, humanitarian issues, economics and militaristic issues. “Basically anything and everything,” Hinds said.
This thesis was derived from the economic plunder and questions people have of the downfall of the American economy, as well as the quest for power.
“Each February, SCONA holds a three day conference with a specific topic,” Hinds said.
It allows students to talk, discuss strategies and solve concentrated questions.
Hinds invites students who are interested to come to meetings or contact her with any questions.
Contact informationWeb site: Scona54.tamu.eduE-mail: [email protected]