A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) hits a home run during Texas A&M’s game against The United States Air Force Academy on Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
No. 1 Aggies combine for 28 runs in doubleheader sweep of Crimson Tide
Luke White and Justin ChenApril 19, 2024

Game 1 If the Texas A&M baseball team can treat each inning like it’s been playing in the fifth frame during the past week, it shouldn’t...

Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Search begins for cause of fire at retirement home

MARYVILLE, Tenn. – A fire that swept through a rural retirement home without sprinklers or access to a hydrant left three elderly residents dead and six hospitalized Wednesday.
The privately owned Home Away from Home was not required to have a sprinkler system under state rules. A former employee said there had been problems with residents smoking inside the home, but investigators were withholding comment about what started the blaze.
”Nothing is ruled out,” said Bob Pollard, a special agent with the state fire marshal’s office.
Fifteen residents, a caregiver and a guest were in the ranch-style, brick building when it caught fire late Tuesday.
Neighbor Jack Wilson said residents were wheeled down a narrow two-lane country road on stretchers to be loaded into ambulances that couldn’t drive all the way to the facility 15 miles south of Knoxville. A dozen ambulances jammed the road leading to the home.
”It was chaotic,” he said. ”I don’t think it should be here, and that proved it last night.”
With no fire hydrant available, firefighters fashioned a makeshift pool by dumping truckloads of water into a low spot on the ground and using that to supply the hoses. Temperatures in the mid-20s forced firefighters to put salt in the water to keep it from freezing.
Authorities identified two of the dead as residents Lucille Law, 87, and Molly Wright, 84. The third victim’s identity was not released. One of them was trapped in the building, said sheriff’s spokeswoman Marian O’Briant.
In all, 13 people were treated for smoke inhalation and burns, and one victim suffered a hip fracture. Six remained hospitalized, three in critical condition.
State law exempts older retirement homes from having sprinklers if they have not been renovated since 1994.
State licensing records list Home Away from Home’s administrator as Curtis Sorrells, who refused to talk to reporters Wednesday.