Search for college’s dean reaches final stages

The national search for dean of the College of Education and Human Development at Texas A&M has come down to the three candidates. Each of the finalists will visit campus and make a public presentation, open to students.
The first candidate to visit is Joyce Alexander, professor of learning and developmental sciences in her fourth year as executive associate dean in the School of Education at Indiana University.
Alexander’s presentation will be from 4:30-5:30 p.m. Monday in MSC 2406A. Alexander said she encourages students to attend to give her a better sense of the university’s needs.
“I would like to understand from students, faculty and staff the questions and issues they see as most pressing for the college,” Alexander said. “I think it will be a good opportunity for students to get to know me a little better, and hopefully we can lay the foundation for working together in the future.”
José Luis Bermúdez, associate provost for strategic planning and former dean of the College of Liberal Arts, said all students are welcome to come out to the presentation.
“Student participation in the process is important to ensure that the new dean understands the concerns and aspirations of our students, both graduate and undergraduate,” Bermúdez said.
Janna Nakayama, education junior, said it is important for students to attend the presentation because the new dean will play a vital role in our education.
“The dean will be in a position to intercede for us and make decisive choices that could alter our path to a career in education,” Nakayama said. “Attending the forum would allow students to be efficiently informed about each candidate and also for students to maintain responsibility of their own education.”
The other two candidates will attend campus the first week of December. John Allegrante, senior professor of health education and director of the International Institute at Teachers College, will make his public presentation from 10:30-11:30 a.m. Dec. 1 in 111 Koldus.
Chodzko-Zajko, a Shahid and Ann Carlson Khan professor in applied health sciences and head of the department of kinesiology and community health at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, will speak from 3-4 p.m. Dec. 3 in 111 Koldus.