Second album from ‘O.C.’ is just OK

Fox’s hit show “The O.C.” has been known to turn heads with its fast-paced drama and risque subject material. Another thing that has turned heads is its music. Exposing new artists on every episode, “The O.C.” has introduced viewers to bands such as Death Cab for Cutie and Jem. Now back with its second season, “The O.C.” is also out with a new soundtrack – “The O.C. Mix 2.” Full of all the intensity of the television show, this album is packed full of emotional songs by indie artists that create a great soundtrack for the show. Josh Schwartz, creator/executive producer of “The O.C.,” said he basically thought of a good soundtrack of his life and put it to the show. The result? An album that will make you want to buy each of the featured artists’ full-length albums. Either way, you’ll be able to impress your friends with your new indie rock knowledge.
The album begins strong with The Eels’ “Saturday Morning.” Upbeat and bouncy, this song must have been played during one of those rare moments when the kids on the show were all smiling. Fronted by Mark Oliver Everett, who began playing music at age six, The Eels have made appearances on other soundtracks such as “American Beauty.” On this featured song, Everett croons with a distinctive electric guitar and drum beat in the background, “Nothing’s ever gonna happen ’round here/ If we don’t make it happen/ Sleep away the day if you want to/ But I got something that I gotta do.”
The album also features Nada Surf’s rendition of OMD’s 1986 hit “If You Leave.” Also covered by Good Charlotte, this popular song fits this mix and the show perfectly. “I touch you once, I touch you twice/ I won’t let go at any price/ I need you now like I needed you then/ You always said we’d meet again someday.” The classic lyrics could easily be sung by Ryan to Marissa during one of their many break-up, make-up sequences.
Another great cover featured on this album is Jem’s “Maybe I’m Amazed.” Originally written and sung by Paul McCartney, Jem’s version has made one slight change – every time McCartney would say “woman,” Jem has changed the lyric to “man.” This song was the one played at Julie and Caleb’s wedding at the end of season one.
The best songs on this album are Patrick Park’s “Something Pretty” and The Perishers’ “Trouble Sleeping.” Both very mellow, these artists have strong voices and promising futures. Slightly depressing (and fitting to many of the show’s themes), Park sings, “I could have died from being boring/ As for loneliness/ She greets me every morning.” This song has a slight country twang and a hint of oldies rock to it.
“Trouble Sleeping” is recognizable from the show, and the lyrics are perfect for it. With a beautiful rhythm, this is memorable from the episode with the Harvard School Kick-Off Carnival. The Perishers sing, “I’m having trouble sleeping/ I’m thinking of what you said/ About the tears been shed/ Leave me.” This song, like many of the other tracks on the album, could easily be on everyone’s life soundtrack.
Although this is a wonderful sampling of great new bands, it might be wiser to listen to and then buy the album of one of the best artists featured. But, for a good road trip mix or background noise while studying, this would be a wise buy. If you love the show and have seen every episode 50 times, this would be a fun way to reminisce. And “O.C.” fanatics should also get excited because the liner notes fold out into a neat poster collage.