The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

Service project funds field trips, grants

Lenae Allen

Communication junior Emily Balazik and Allied Health junior Katie Graham work at an inflatable knock-off competition.

While thousands of students gathered to go out into the Bryan-College Station community and provide services  such as manual labor, a number of students served through The Big Event in a different way this past Saturday. 

Almost 300 students served at B-CS elementary schools this year through The Big Event, which hosts carnivals for the students and surrounding communities. These carnivals raise money that goes back towards the schools for funding field trips, teacher grants and other future projects.

This year’s festivals were a success, said Robert Killion, Big Event Outreach Director, with a surplus of students attending. 

“This festival has been an incredible opportunity for the residents of the area to work with the schools, the students and the college kids that have been able to volunteer,” Killion said. “It really does form relationships between families and students who volunteer — one we hope to continue making.” 

This year’s carnivals saw around 800 residents volunteering alongside The Big Event participants at different booths. Killion said the numbers for how much money was raised this year are not final yet.

“The amount raised isn’t exact yet, but as this is their only fundraiser for the year, the schools get a lot of money from this event,” Killion said. 

Although this year’s events are over, Killion said The Big Event looks forward to hosting the carnivals again next year.

“As far as I know, we will continue working these festivals,” Killion said. “The bonds made between the volunteers at the festivals make it worth it, and we would like to see it continue as long as possible.”

• International Studies freshman Katy Wilkes helps at a Bomber baseball booth.

• Petroleum Engineering sophomore Jack Christman works at the Donut Dangle booth.