Senior Lamara Distin leaps over the during the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships on Saturday, June 10, 2023 and Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin, Texas (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
Distin named SEC Outdoor Scholar-Athlete of the Year

It might be time for Lamara Distin to invest in a bigger trophy case for her living room. Texas A&M track and field’s high jump senior...

Sex trafficking takes spotlight in film

To refocus the view of human sex trafficking, MSC FLI and Aggie Cinema Club are teaming up through an event called “Break the Chain” to bring awareness to the international issue and inspire action.
Through the striking emotional trials shown in the documentary “Born into Brothels,” both organizations hope to use the film to educate the public on the importance of the issue and to encourage Aggies to take the initiative to make a difference, said Taylor Beach, MSC FLI assistant director of international service and outreach.
“We feel that it is important to raise awareness about this international issue that affects so many people around the world, including right here in College Station,” Beach said. “We hope to inspire people to stand up and fight for justice.”
The film will be made possible through the assistance of MSC Aggie Cinema Club, which seeks to entertain and educate students through events such as Break the Chain, said John Schomburger, vice chair of Aggie Cinema Club.
“This event is important to Aggie Cinema because we strive to educate the students on campus as well as entertain through our other films we are showing,” Schomburger said. “We hope this event with FLI will make an impact on the students through bringing awareness of this issue.”
To help get the message across, the event will host a speaker from Redeemed Ministries who will share her experience of rescuing a victim of human sex trafficking from the University of Texas. The speaker is now a residential advisor for a safe house in College Station.
“Throughout this week as a part of Social Justice Week, we are passing our statistics as well as collecting items for the safe house here in College Station,” Beach said. “The items to donate include household items such as toilet paper, dishwasher tabs, high efficiency laundry detergent, $25 HEB gift cards and $25 Starbucks cards.”
Several booths from different organizations that focus on human trafficking will also be set up at the event for attendees to learn more about the issue and give opportunities to donate in various ways.
“We want people to be able to give in all forms whether that is financially through donations, physically through volunteer opportunities or emotionally by furthering their knowledge of the industry,” Beach said. “We want the effects of this event to go beyond the campus of Texas A&M.”
The event is expected to reveal the truth and revamp the perspective of how others view human sex trafficking in hopes to persuade the Aggie family to open their arms to those who are in need of help. Emily Canales, sophomore marketing major and assistant director in FLI, said the event is a step in the right direction toward spreading awareness about human trafficking.
“I think this event as a whole has been groundbreaking and it will only grow in immensity,” Canales said. “This documentary screening titled “Born into Brothels” will hopefully attract many students on campus to become aware of an ongoing global crisis, now considered an example of modern day slavery and force the ugly subject upon individuals who want to help stop the atrocities.”
The event will be from 6-8 p.m. Tuesday in Hullabaloo 117B.