SGA pitches in toys for CSPD holiday breakfast

In an effort to make Christmas a little brighter for hundreds of College Station children, Student Government Association has teamed up with the College Station Police Department and the Citizen Police Academy Alumni Association.
Since 2004, CSPD has hosted “Operation Blue Santa” — an initiative designed to assist lower income families during the holiday season. The program has two parts — a toy drive and a breakfast with Santa. When community sponsorship for the toy drive fell through for this year, Hannah Wimberly, public affairs vice president for the executive cabinet, said SGA and other sponsors stepped up to the plate to collect toys.
“We at SGA are very excited to partner with College Station Police Department,” Wimberly said. “They have been fantastic in wanting to work with us and we are excited to see where this event goes.”
The toys will be delivered at the Breakfast with Santa. Sergeant Calder Lively of CSPD said the event creates a positive atmosphere for under-privileged children by allowing them to interact with Santa Claus and CSPD.
“We have a Santa Claus that wears blue instead of red — that’s blue Santa,” Sergeant Calder Lively of CSPD said. “He will be there at the office of the apartment complex and kids will come in and sit on his lap with the gifts that Student Government are raising, allowing us to give the kids toys when they visit with Santa.”
Wimberly said the drive reminds students at A&M of the blessings they have.
“It is always important, all year round, and especially in the holiday season, to realize how fortunate we are to attend such a great university and how much we have and to give back to those who may not have as much as we can to help make this holiday season brighter for everyone,” Wimberly said.
The event will be held on Dec. 20 at the Southgate Village Apartments. Donations can be dropped off at the CSPD station or the Student Government office in Koldus through Dec. 17.