Show respect at Olsen Field

Seeing a game at Olsen Field can only be described as “magic” – at least that’s how it used to be. This year, Olsen Field doesn’t possess that magic, and it has nothing to do with the baseball team. Creativity used to reign supreme in the student section. Other teams were often faced with greater opponents in the stands than on the field. A steady stream of good-natured jaunts could be heard coming from the second deck. However, this year, I have been appalled and embarrassed by what has come from one of the “friendliest student bodies in the nation.” Students have verbally attacked everything from opposing players’ weights to their significant others. I have seen them ignore Aggie players at bat because their hitting percentages were “too low.” I have even witnessed students yell at elderly fans in maroon because they walked in front of them during game play. This has got to stop. It is unacceptable to disrespect fans and your team. To the teams we play, please know that these students do NOT represent all Aggie fans. To those of you who are a part of these actions, please watch the games from home.
Stephen M. Bahr IIClass of 2005