Silver Taps: Chad Alexander Holub

%26%23160%3B

To many, Chad Holub was a bright star — he burned brightly and died early.
His mother, Mary Holub, said some people took this metaphor to a new level.
“A group of people actually went and bought a star in his name in Switzerland in the registry and have had Chad Holub under the Big Dipper,” Mary Holub said. “He is truly a star now.”
Mary Holub said her son had a special spark and would light up any room he entered. His brother Chase Holub, Class of 2011, said he cared more about others than he did himself.
“He was a really big people person, and he was always trying to make other people happy and make them feel better about themselves,” Chase Holub said. “He was always an afterthought compared to all his friends and all the people he cared about.”
An industrial engineering junior, Chad Holub was one semester away from earning his Aggie Ring in April. Ever dedicated to his studies, Mary Holub said he turned down a scholarship through the Corps of Cadets so that he could focus on his classes.
He wanted to attend A&M since he was in eighth grade, even before his older brother knew he wanted to be an Aggie, Mary Holub said.
Outside the classroom, Chad Holub enjoyed sports like ultimate frisbee, swimming and skiing. He also participated in Big Event and Breakaway. Mary Holub said Chad Holub enjoyed being outdoors, and she has many memories of traveling with him and the family.
Chad Holub’s outgoing nature was a part of his life from a young age, Mary Holub said. He enjoyed theater and was involved with lip-syncing productions and plays in elementary and intermediate school.
“One of those times was fourth grade when his music teacher selected him to play the coveted role as ‘Frosty the Snowman,’ complete with costume, and performed the dance to come alive as the children all sang around him,” Mary Holub said. “That became one of his nicknames at the school, the community and followed him all the way to his last day, as ‘Frosty.’ We still get such joy watching that video.
Chris Wooley, computer science senior, knew Chad Holub since high school, but he said they became good friends during freshman year. He said Chad Holub’s people skills were something to be admired.
“He was the only person I knew who could go up to a complete stranger and talk to them as if they were a long-time friend,” Wooley said. “That was something truly special about him.”
Chase Holub said Chad Holub always tried to make an impact on the people he met, big or small. Wooley said it was the little moments that are some of his favorite memories.
“I guess my favorite [memory] would be when we spent an entire afternoon laughing like crazy watching South Park, which was his favorite show,” Wooley said. “It wasn’t anything special, but I cherished those little moments with him.”