Silver Taps: Chess Ronald Mizell

Mizell was known as the kind of man who would put a smile on the face of everyone he met.
He was very sensitive and had a big heart, said Michelle Jeffery, Chesss mother.
Chess would often think in the long term. He kept a list of all the goals he wanted to accomplish before age 50 in his backpack. A passionate environmentalist, Chess pursued an environmental science degree at A&M after transferring from Michigan State University.
The most outstanding thing about him was that he was just an incredible friend, said Carrie Alderete, senior psychology major. There wasnt a single thing he could have done to be a better friend. Hed drop everything at a moments notice if I ever needed to talk.
Chess enjoyed being with his friends but never wanted to be the center of attention.
I think if you were out and you met him hed be very cordial and friendly, but he probably wouldnt be the person that everyone was watching, Michelle said. He liked to be a part of it, but didnt have to be the center of it all.
Chess was known for his love of sports. He played intramural soccer while at A&M and Michigan State and he wasnt a stranger to Monday Night Football. He and Alderete always watched the game and ordered takeout food.
Chess also loved to play lacrosse with his childhood friend Ryan Stopka.
Initially when we were little we went to the same elementary school, Stopka said. He was always quirky and fun. He was up to do stuff you just never really knew what to expect out of him.
Chess enjoyed a good game of World of Warcraft or going to a friends cabin for a weekend to hang out with friends and his beloved chocolate labrador, Izzy.
Chesss friends will miss his witty antics and random acts of kindness.
I guess what I miss most these days is when I cant see this bright shining person pop out of nowhere, Alderete said. I really miss that. Id be having a bad day and Id always run into him. Hed always tell me a joke to cheer me up.
Chesss passion for climate change landed him an internship at Dell Chemical for the summer.
I think he was very excited about the prospect of being gone and getting a job, Michelle said.
Chess and his mother were very close and loved to sit together and watch Mythbusters, one of his favorite TV shows. He was good at enjoying the simple things.
Ill miss seeing his smile he had a beautiful smile, Michelle said. Ill just miss being with him and talking. Ill miss the relationship.
One thing his friends remember most about Chess was his selfless heart.
He was extremely kind and willing to do anything for anyone, Alderete said. Those things that he was passionate about he was super passionate about them thats not something that you see everyday. He was really in touch with what others around him were feeling and thinking.