Silver Taps: Christy Crow

%26%23160%3B

Christy Crow took her passion for education beyond the realm of being a student. She wanted to work with children and follow in her mother’s footsteps as a teacher.
An interdisciplinary studies sophomore, Christy Crow transferred to A&M for the 2014 spring semester.
“She really was looking forward to being able to become a teacher and help in young children’s lives,” said Nick Crow, her brother and Class of 2010. “That was her lifelong goal. She had the personality to do it. She was hard-working, but she was very caring and she was very forgiving.”
Christy Crow attended Galveston College, where she read and spent one-on-one time with children as a volunteer at Parker Elementary School. She later transferred to San Jacinto College, but her ultimate goal was to be an Aggie.
“She bled maroon through and through,” said Nick Crow. “She was an Aggie to the core, probably more than me. She was just infatuated with A&M.”
In April, Nick Crow set up Christy’s Wish Scholarship Fund for transfer students and those in the College of Education. He said he hopes Christy Crow can be remembered through this fund.
“She’s going to be impacting future educators for years to come,” Nick Crow said.
Suzanne Crow, her mother, said Christy Crow’s “most recent love” was the Aggie football team and the 12th Man.
“It was one of her passions,” Suzanne Crow said. “Not only did she know who all the players were on the team presently, but also knew what happened to a lot of the former players and started watching them on the NFL with her father.”
Suzanne Crow said her daughter had a unique way of telling stories and lightening a conversation.
“Just the way her mannerisms were — she could make it funny,” Suzanne Crow said. “That says a lot about a person when they ease up things.”
Christy Crow truly appreciated family and loved being around children, especially her nephew Cayden.
When her nephew would scream or cry as a baby, Christy Crow would sing to him and he would stop. These moments were some of her favorites to watch, Suzanne Crow said.
“It was his way of saying, ‘I want to hear you sing,’” Suzanne Crow said. “I told her, ‘Maybe you won him over with your singing,’ and she’d say, ‘Well I think it’s because it’s soothing to him.’ She was only 14 years old. At 14 you shouldn’t have to think about helping babies, but she was helping her brother out and she was always there to do that.”
Kayla Taylor knew Christy Crow since their time at Friendswood High School, where they shared a love for choir and dance classes. A transfer student as well, Taylor said she was glad when Christy Crow transferred for the spring semester.
“It was like having a little piece of home in College Station,” Taylor said. “This is the girl I grew up with, my piece of home, my piece of Friendswood in College Station.”
Taylor said Christy Crow’s humor was strong and her laugh was infectious.
“It was hilarious,” Taylor said. “She had a very distinct laugh. When she would start, we would laugh even more.”
Picture provided.