Silver Taps: Miguel Angel Hernandez

With his spontaneous humor and explosive nature, Miguel Angel Hernandez endeared himself to fellow cadets in Company B-1. Life as a freshman in the Corps of Cadets is not an easy task, but Miguel had a way of helping his fellow freshman through it with laughter.
He always made us laugh, he was just so crazy and random, said Arturo Huerta, freshman civil engineering major. He helped us through fish year by always picking us up when we were sad.
Senior accounting major and B-1 Company commander Alexander Cotter said Hernandezs laugh was unmistakable.
People would laugh more from his laugh than from the actual joke,Cotter said.
Hernandez was a general studies major who spent most of his time with the Corps, playing sports or studying.
He was very competitive and we would always argue over who was better, Huerta said about his and Hernandezs soccer rivalry. He would beat me in everything else but soccer, but I was amazed at how fast he improved. He would always tell me after a game, Im going to get you, next time.
Hernandezs determination to excel at all things was well known by Dillon Robinette, senior political science major and first sergeant of B-1. Looking back at the hard work that Hernandez constantly put into everything, especially physical fitness, Robinette said it was one of the ways Hernandez became a leader among his peers.
He was always at the forefront when things needed to be done and always took the initiative, Robinette said. All around he was a natural athlete and a wonderful cadet who exemplified the Corps values.
Liz Ramos, Hernandezs aunt, said his overall goal for going to A&M was to get his parents into a better position in life.
[He] was very focused. He really wanted an education, and he joined the Corps because he wanted a program that would build his character and discipline, she said.
Hernandez loved the Corps. His excitement and willingness to challenge himself reminded his classmates of why the Corps was worth it, even when it seemed like it would never get better.
Whenever I wanted to quit the Corps, Hernandez always reminded me about the qualities that the Corps gave us strength, leadership, and [a brotherhood], Huerta said.
Huerta said he remembers whenever he or another classmate wanted to give up, Hernandez would tell them to hang on as they worked to earn their senior boots.
Earning his senior boots meant so much to Miguel, Huerta said. They [told the world] that you survived four years in the Corps, that you are a leader, and that you have become part of something much bigger than yourself.
Recognizing Hernandezs love for the Corps and his strong desire to earn senior boots, B-1 found and purchased a pair of ready-made senior boots with funds from the Corps. Huerta delivered them to Hernandezs family Saturday.
In the eyes of his peers and leaders, he earned them.