Similar quarterbacks lead teams

Since Reggie McNeal and Vincent Young were in high school, people have been comparing the two collegiate quarterbacks in every aspect of their game.
Maybe it’s because both are known more for their Michael Vick-like speed than their arm strength, or maybe it’s because both have led their teams into the top 25 rankings this season, but whatever the reason is, Friday’s match up between Young and McNeal will be a critical one in deciding who takes home state bragging rights.
The No. 5 University of Texas’ high-powered offense is averaging 36 points per game, while also averaging a gaudy 472 yards of total offense per game. A big reason Texas has been able to score at will all season has been because of the dual threat play of Young. All season, teams have constantly made a conscious effort to keep an eye on the dual threat quarterback.
The same can be said of No. 22 Texas A&M quarterback Reggie McNeal, who leads an Aggie offense that averages 32 points per game and 454 yards of total offense.
Statistically, McNeal and Young have almost been mirror images of each other. This season McNeal has passed for 2,300 yards and 12 touchdowns while also rushing for 693 yards and eight touchdowns.
Not to be outdone, Young has passed for 1,538 yards and 11 touchdowns, while rushing for 794 yards and nine touchdowns.
Both McNeal and Young have put up impressive numbers all season long, while gaining praise from the national sports media. However, among all of the stats, it might be the leadership skills and intangibles possessed by both quarterbacks that make them so invaluable to their teams in the upcoming game.
Last month, in a must win game against the University of Colorado, it was McNeal who drove the Aggies 77 yards down the field with 1:05 left in the game to set up the game-tying field goal that would send the Aggies to a crucial overtime win. During the drive, McNeal accounted for all 77 yards of the drive, including a 24-yard run on third down that essentially kept the Aggies in the game.
Just like McNeal, Young was left with the ball in his hands during last weekend’s game against Kansas University. The Texas quarterback engineered an improbable drive, in which he accounted for all 48 yards on the Longhorn scoring drive. The drive was highlighted by a 23-yard run on fourth down and the game-winning touchdown pass with 11 seconds left in the game.
Both quarterbacks lay their games on the line each weekend, and during this season, they’ve found themselves on top at the end of regulation. Friday’s game should be like any other, as McNeal and Young get ready to prove who the best dual-threat quarterback in the state really is.