Singing Cadets to serenade Aggie parents

Promising a little something for everyone attending, Texas A&M’s all-male group of singers hope to share their passion and love for A&M at their annual Parents’ Weekend performance on Saturday.
David Kipp, director of choral activities for the Singing Cadets, said this 110-year-old student-run organization and Parents’ Weekend have gone hand-in-hand for the last 94 years.
“The Singing Cadets date all the way back to 1893 and Parents’ Weekend was started in 1919,” Kipp said. “Since the very inception of Parents’ Weekend, the Singing Cadets has been the official event of Parents’ Weekend on Saturday night.”
Matt Ortega, senior recreation, parks and tourism major and public relations manager for the Singing Cadets, said the Singing Cadets’ main duty is to enhance the public relations of Texas A&M through musical performances.
The Singing Cadets are commonly recruited to perform for numerous organizations, presidents, governors and veterans’ funerals. The group even travels internationally every three years.
“I’ve sung for every living president so far, I’ve shaken Obama’s hand, I’ve met Chuck Norris, I’ve gotten to go to South Africa and this year we’re going to China,” Ortega said. “This past year Governor [Rick] Perry and Dr. [R. Bowen] Loftin called us to perform at the military sniper Chris Kyle’s funeral.”
According to Ortega, the performance will feature a diverse selection of music ranging from traditional A&M songs to music from bands like The Temptations.
“It is not going to be a boring choir concert,” Ortega said. “There are going to be times when people will laugh and times when people will want to cry. It’s a show that a lot of kids won’t expect to enjoy but hopefully will.”
Ortega said the cadets are the most performing choir in the U.S., performing up to 95 times in an average year. Despite this title, Ortega said they don’t often get to perform for their families, friends or fellow students.
“We go all over the country – all over the globe sometimes, but we never really get to sing for our parents and our families unless we are going to our hometown,” Ortega said. “We never really get to perform at A&M unless it’s for a small event.”
Nathan Gober, freshman electrical engineering major and member of the Singing Cadets, said that aside from performing, he is personally excited for Parents’ Weekend so that he can utilize his ability to represent the University through the knowledge that the Singing Cadets has given him.
“One of the first things we learned was a lot of the University’s history and a lot of things about famous people in our past and why certain buildings are named after certain people,” Gober said. “I always enjoy the chances I get to show the campus to people and talk about the University, and I’m really excited to be able to do that for my parents.”
Tyler Smith, vice president of the Singing Cadets and mathematics major said singing to a group of Aggies is an incredible experience.
“When you mention the Dixie Chicken in a song and everybody “whoops” – that’s cool,” Smith said. “We’re passionate about this music and singing about this University and this country and this concert gives us an opportunity to share it with fellow Aggies, friends and family.”
The price of admission is $5 and tickets are available for presale at the MSC box office.
The concert will begin at 7:30 p.m. at Rudder Auditorium.