The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

SIPS prevents TABC from stopping potential drunk drivers outside

If TABC is so desperate for funds, maybe it should hold a bake sale instead of relying on fines obtained through this shady “pre-emptive strike” philosophy. It’s too bad the proprietors of the bars can’t toss these officers out onto the street where they belong.
The very logic of the plan is laughable. Instead of being outside looking for intoxicated people who are actually getting behind the wheel or making a nuisance of themselves, TABC will be inside the bar, searching for people who have committed no crime, while the person who is not visibly drunk walks right past them out the door, gets into a car and wraps it around a telephone pole. Good thinking there, TABC!
Unless bar rules have changed, I don’t think it’s possible to get a DWI while inside a bar, considering it’s usually “no cars allowed.” So really, TABC, what is your reasoning behind all this? It amazes me that people are willing to just sit back and accept this ridiculous practice in the name of “public safety.” If public safety is the key concern, let’s make all the speed limits five miles per hour and save thousands of lives a year! In reality, this is just another means by which government can encroach upon the lives of its citizens, and we should view it with contempt.
Paul SimsClass of 2006