Softball team splits series against Iowa State

The Texas A&M softball team played its final two home games of the 2009 season during Senior Weekend.
On Saturday, the Aggies lost their first game of the series against Iowa State 3-0.
Freshman center fielder Kelsea Orsak recorded A&M’s first hit of the game in the bottom of the third inning, but was later caught stealing for the final out of the inning.
The Aggies had three more singles in the game, but A&M failed to advance a runner to second base.
Freshman pitcher Rebecca Arbino pitched all seven innings, allowing five hits, three runs, striking out four and walking none.
“I didn’t like what I saw from us today,” A&M Head Coach Jo Evans said. “We’re trying to make a push in the conference standings and then we came out and let one get away.”
The Aggies played with a different approach in the Sunday game, run-ruling the Cyclones 9-1 in five innings.
“It’s great that we played well, but it makes me mad that we weren’t consistent,” Evans said. “For us not to come out yesterday and take care of business was very frustrating.”
A&M took an early lead, scoring a run in the bottom of the first inning after sophomore pitcher Rhi Kliesing singled to right field.
Defensively, Kliesing had a no-hitter going into the fourth inning. She pitched 4.2 innings, allowed one run, four hits, struck out four, and walked none.
Senior pitcher Savannah Lloyd then entered the game with two outs in the top of the fifth inning. Lloyd struck out the final batter with a changeup.
“It was such a great moment, one of my favorites here at Texas A&M,” Evans said. “I can’t think of a better way for her to end Senior Day.”
Lloyd was one of three A&M seniors honored after the game. She was joined on the field by outfielder Holly Ridley and catcher Erin Glasco.
Evans gave three short speeches to commemorate the time spent by each of the players at Texas A&M and thanked a multitude of members of the softball program.
The Aggies start a four-game road trip Tuesday with a make-up game against Baylor. A&M will then play in a midweek double-header against Kansas on Thursday.
“We have the possibility to have great momentum going into the away games,” Evans said. “We need to take it and run with it and our kids need to feel good about their performance.”