Softball team to play final homestand of 2009

The Texas A&M softball team will play its last home games of the 2009 season Friday and Saturday against Iowa State at the Aggie Softball Complex.
Seniors Holly Ridley, Erin Glasco, and Savannah Lloyd will be playing in the final home game of their careers at A&M.
Lloyd is a pitcher who that transferred from Boston College to play with the Aggies for only the 2009 season. She has had four appearances for the Aggies, including one start.
A&M Head Coach Jo Evans said that when Lloyd called and said she wanted to play at A&M, Evans couldn’t guarantee a pitching spot, but still offered a spot on the team.
“I told her as far as pitching went, I couldn’t promise her one inning” Evans said. “But what I wanted her to do is come down here and make our team better. She’s done what she promised.”
Erin Glasco has been at the catcher position for two years after transferring from Notre Dame to A&M her junior year. She is tied for the team lead in RBIs in 2009 with 28, has only one error this season, and has a batting average of .288.
Evans said that Glasco made a huge difference in the softball program at A&M.
“Coming in when needed a huge boost in the catching position and has done spectacular,” Evans said. “We were fortunate when she chose to transfer to A&M because she’s made our team a lot better.”
Holly Ridley is a 4-year starter who has played both shortstop and outfield over her career. She currently ranks seventh all-time in career home runs at A&M, eight of them coming in 2009.
Evans said Holly has been looked upon as a leader on the team.
“I hadn’t even really thought about this being my last home game until Erin Glasco told me in the dugout Wednesday,” Ridley said. “It’s gone by way too fast, it doesn’t seem like it’s already been four years.”
The Iowa State Cyclones, 22-26 overall with a 4-10 record in the Big 12 Conference, are coming off of a 1-run victory over No. 10 Missouri.
In the overall series between the Cyclones and the Aggies, A&M leads 30-5.
Despite experience success against Iowa State historically, Evans said the team always faces tough competition when they play the Cyclones.
“Iowa State is one of those teams that always plays well against us,” Evans said. “They have nothing to lose, everything to game and our team knows better than to take these games for granted.”
A&M is 28-17 with a 5-7 Big 12 record and is currently in sixth place in the conference with just 6 games remaining. Ridley said the team is looking to gain momentum going into its last week of games.
“It’s important to finish out strong and gain momentum going into the Big 12 tournament,” Ridley said. “That way no matter who we play or what seed we’re in, we’ll have that confidence to get it done.”