Soldiers prevent attacks on U.S. soil

I’m sure you’re quite the national security expert considering your impressive two years of core curriculum studies at Texas A&M, so please let me ask you a question. Why do you suppose there hasn’t been a major attack on the United States since 9/11? Is it just luck? Is it our peace loving, hands-off approach to the war on terror? Maybe some of those terrorists finally tried a Big Mac and realized we’re not that bad after all. Do you think the fact that our service members fight Al-Qaida on a daily basis has anything to do with it? I’m willing to bet is has something to do with the latter. Oh, and before you tell me to go “fight alongside our troops,” realize I am a troop. I served seven months in Iraq with 1st Battalion 23rd Marines, and yes I joined AFTER the war began. I understand the importance of our role in the Middle East; the “rest of the nation” doesn’t have to witness their roommate’s foot nearly severed by a land mine that was laid by a terrorist. A terrorist that would more than love to do the same thing in America. My former roommate now walks with a cane. A cane that he would more than love to trade for an M-16 and a plane ride back to Iraq.
Chris HoltkampClass of 2005