Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Special Olympics volunteers to play benefit football game

The Aggie Special Olympic of Texas Volunteers (ASOTV) will host the Celebrity Flag Football Classic this Saturday at Stephen F. Austin Middle School to benefit the Texas A&M Unified Flag Football team on their journey to future competitions.
As a student organization at Texas A&M, ASOTV focuses on empowering individuals with intellectual and physical disabilities to become more productive, physically fit and respected athletes in society through training and competition. The teams consist of A&M students and other volunteers in the community who train and play with the athletes.
ASOTV President, Ashley Stewart, is anticipating the turnout Saturday will make this an annual event. With partners and sponsorships, they look forward to sustaining success in the chapter.
We hope to continue the event in the future and make the community more involved and proud. We have more unified sports in our organization and hope to expand community events for multiple sports, Stewart said.
This Saturday, Dec. 1, ASOTV is teaming up with music station Candy 95, as well as other respected affiliations in the community, to provide a fun filled day for Aggies, the athletes and community members. Activities will begin at 10 a.m. and continue into the afternoon. The flag football match will be held on the SFA middle school football field in Bryan with two fifteen-minute halves. The teams will be competing for the gold, silver and bronze prizes.
Guest celebrity players include Candy 95 DJs Katy Dempsey and Frito, Michael Oder and Shel Winkley from KBTX, College Station Police Chief Jeff Capps, Bryan Police Chief Eric Buske, Pastor Caleb Schoeneck of Beautiful Savior Lutheran Church, Bryan Fire Chief Randy McGregor and College Station Fire Chief R. B. Alley.
KBTX reporter, Shel Winkley, has made friendships with the teammates in their practices and is excited to be a part of the event, as the team is keen to showcase their talent.
The smile that lights up on their faces as they practice is contagious; thats why I participate. Everyone should come out and experience this with me, Winkley said.
All proceeds will go towards benefiting the local Unified teams in travel expenses, uniforms, equipment, facility fees and transportation.
Katy Dempsey, celebrity player from Candy 95, said her passion and interest in the team and upcoming event started a while back. While hosting Candy 95s Party on the Patio every Thursday at Ozonas Bar and Grill, she met some of the players who invited her to watch some practices. After being amazed by the talent of the athletes, she became part of the team.
I always try and find ways to get involved in the community. Being a part of this group, I cannot wait to see the attendance Saturday and hope to see success in raising money. I know how much everything costs and never want it to keep the team from going further, Dempsey said.
Event tickets are $5 and are available in the main lobby at the College Station Medical Center. They can also be purchased at the gate or by emailing [email protected].