Sports venues to undergo upgrades

Aggie Athletics Director Bill Byrne said his master plan would set Texas A&M apart from the rest of the nation and that his vision is to attract the best athletes to the University.
Byrne, track and field head coach Pat Henry, women’s basketball head coach Gary Blair and marketing director Jeff Schmahl, spoke at a Student Government forum Thursday in the MSC Flag Room about the current and future status of A&M Athletics. Byrne gave a presentation of the master plan he showed the Board of Regents last month.
“We need something that will set us apart to attract high school athletes,” Byrne said. “Our goal is not only to be good, but our goal is to be great.”
Byrne’s master plan included upgrading Kyle Field and Olsen Field, building two new indoor facilities, updating G. Rollie White Coliseum and lowering prices at concession stands.
After its upgrade, the now open end of Kyle Field would look similar in design to the current “Zone”, located in the north end of the field. The stadium will contain big screens at each corner and seat 150,000 fans.
“It will take us 10 years to finish this plan,” Byrne said. “Yet, Texas A&M will have the biggest stadium in the nation.”
Byrne said this master plan was a long-term plan, because it needs to be planned out thoroughly.
“We want a plan that’ll have the rest of the nation saying ‘Uh-oh, we better catch up with Texas A&M,'” Byrne said. “We want to improve the fan experience.”
Student Body President Jack Hildebrand said students would be glad to hear about these plans for athletics.
“I think it’s a great thing that the Athletic Department came out and shared with us their plans,” Hildebrand said. “It is important that we keep student contact from now until then, and they definitely want student input.”
Byrne said student tuition would not be increased to support this master plan.
“Athletics is a self-supporting program,” Byrne said. “Somebody has to pay the bills, and we do with sponsorships, ticket prices and contributions.”
Junior civil engineering major Kevin Thompson said these new facilities that are being planned will bring more talented athletes to A&M.
“Building great facilities and holding championship events will definitely be exposure that you can’t buy for A&M,” Thompson said. “With the best facilities, you recruit the best students.”
Will Stromeyer, a junior marketing major, also approved of Byrne’s proposed master plan.
“It’s impressive,” Stromeyer said. “Kyle Field is going to be something else. Filling up all those seats will definitely create a tough atmosphere for any opponent.”
Blair and Henry spoke about current recruits, the new facilities that would accommodate in-state track meets and student participation at games.
“We’re in the process of building the program and building the tradition,” Henry said. “We know how to be successful; we’re working on being successful, and we’re going to recruit those that will help us be successful.”
Public health graduate student Terrance Norris said that fans go to games to show their aggie spirit, but if ticket prices keep increasing, students are going to begin asking themselves if whether they really can afford to show their Aggie spirit.
“If the Athletic Department is a self-supporting program making its money in ticket revenue does this mean that these new projects are going to cause ticket prices to increase again?” Norris said.