Spring break brings opportunities for international education

Provided
Study abroad in Guatemala

Many students want to have the experience of going on a study abroad trip but may not want to take the full plunge and live in a different country for a full semester. In these cases, short-term study abroad trips during spring break can be a perfect alternative.
Students looking into spring break study abroad trips have several options, depending on their specific interests. Students have the option to go on service trips, recreational trips or a trip pertaining to a specific class or major.
Faculty from seven different colleges, as well as multiple student organizations, will be leading trips this spring break to a variety of destinations, including Mexico, Central America, South America, Europe, Australia and the Middle East.
Biomedical sciences trips to Costa Rica will be heading out on March 9. According to Texas A&M’s study abroad portal, these trips benefit the students involved because they help them establish and build their skill sets.
“This program is an amazing week full of language and cultural immersion activities, medical Spanish, terminology, community service, homestay and excursions,” the site says.
Associate director in the Study Abroad Programs Office Katy Lane said international trips are beneficial because learning about a different world view benefits not just one’s personal life but their academic life and career as well.
“Here at Texas A&M, across campus we feel that it’s so important for students to be able to participate in high-impact experiences and going abroad is certainly one of those,” Lane said. “When you go abroad you are not just enhancing your resume but you are learning more about yourself personally and you’re learning more about a new culture, a new environment that’s going to give you skills that are really going to benefit you in your future graduate programs as well as future careers.”
Spring break study abroad trips are a great way for students to get the feel of a study abroad trip without the long-term commitment.
“Parents or other loved ones may be more comfortable with a student participating in a shorter program, especially if they haven’t been abroad before, so it’s a really great first opportunity for students to go abroad,” Lane said. “Another benefit of field trips with student groups is you’re traveling with a group of Aggies, so students are more comfortable doing this type of program than doing an individual program like an exchange for example.”
For an array of new experiences without leaving the country, the Department of Recreational Sports is coordinating Outdoor Adventure trips over the break. Outdoor Adventure coordinator Sarah Schneider said these trips are a great opportunity to let loose and have fun. Rec Sports also offers a variety day trips throughout the school year.
“There is a wealth of opportunities out there,” Schneider said. “With our day trips, we see parts of Texas that people haven’t been to or don’t get to know otherwise. … Our goal is to give people a fun experience where they can make new friends and get to know Texas or other scenic locations better.”