Staff calls 2014 Maroon Out sales a success

The Maroon Out staff expects to beat last year’s number of 36,000 shirts sold.

Photo by Dee Huggan 

While Maroon Out staff is still in the process of counting all campus sales, members are calling the 2014 Maroon Out game a success.
“Last year we sold approximately 36,000 shirts,” Hannah Wimberly, Maroon Out inventory director, said. “This year we don’t have a final number yet, but I believe we probably passed that. We’ll have a final number on Monday.”
Wimberly said this year’s Maroon Out game was chosen in part because it was A&M’s first home game against another SEC team for the 2014 season.
Wimberly said the game that Class Councils chooses for Maroon Out varies each year, but historically it’s been against rivals or teams that present a challenge to A&M.
“Over the years we’ve played a lot of games against the University of Texas for Maroon Out,” Wimberly said. “Moving into the SEC, we chose to pick good SEC teams to unite the student body and the 12th Man and the Aggie family as a whole against our opponents.”
Wimberly said the Ole Miss game was chosen for a number of reasons, but rivalry was a major factor.
“Really the tradition of Maroon Out is about uniting the 12th Man against a really good team,” Wimberly said. “We knew Ole Miss was going to be good, and along with it being a great game for us, it gave us the opportunity to allow students to be able to get their shirts for quite a while before the game so people could have many opportunities to come on campus and purchase their shirt.”
While the t-shirts went on sale starting June 2, Wimberly said the process of getting ready for the Maroon Out game is a yearlong endeavor.
“Maroon Out is actually a yearlong process,” Wimberly said. “So within Class Councils, we choose Maroon Out directors pretty much right after the Maroon Out game happens, so this day that we were working for on Saturday was a year in the making. So the new Maroon Out directors for the 2015 season will probably start meeting in three weeks to begin the preparations for the [next] year.”