The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

Step In Stand Up workshop educates students on dating violence

Texas A&M organizations teamed up to create the Step In Stand Up Against Dating Violence workshops in an effort to inform students and faculty of the dangers of such violence.

Health professor and advocate for sexual health, Kelly Wilson led the discussion at the event. The Sexual Assault Survivor Services Committee in partnership with Consensual Language, Education, Awareness and Relationship (CLEAR)  hosted the workshop on Feb. 13 to discuss the importance of preventing and recognizing dating violence. Wilson shared her research on adolescents, teacher preparation in sexuality education, teen pregnancy prevention and teen dating violence prevention to workshop attendees.

The Dating Violence workshop for faculty was held first in Rudder Tower at 1 p.m. with over 100 people in attendance, while a student session was held later in the evening. This workshop focused more on Wilson’s research on sexual health, according to CLEAR event coordinator Ryan Jackson.

“We wanted to have separate sessions because we recognize that students and faculty are at different places in their lives,” Jackson said. “Faculty and staff are going to hear about dating violence second hand from students. They are going to have a lot less opportunity to see dating violence right in front of them so they need more information on what dating violence looks like.”

The workshop for students was held at 8 p.m. in the MSC and consisted of interactive activities aimed to help students identify dating violence and understand that it can affect anyone. Allied Health junior Alicia Seney said she was intrigued to learn what fellow students knew about the topic.

“It’s kind of interesting to see what different people think about dating violence,” Seney said. “I thought is was pretty informative with the steps that they are taking.”

The workshop for students also had representatives from the Brazos Valley sexual assault resource center in attendance. Representatives were available to talk with students who may have been affected by dating violence.

“It’s good that we reach out and build these programs in the health field.” said SARC representative and community health senior Kelsea Muzny. “I think Dr. Wilson’s information  has really been useful for the students.”

Wilson received her Bachelor of Science in Health and her PhD in Health education at Texas A&M University. She is currently an associate professor in the Department of Health and Kinesiology and continues her research on adolescent health. Wilson is currently working on an project for health education with the Paso del Norte Health Foundation that targets middle and high school students, but she still recognizes the importance of having resources such as the Step In Stand Up Campaign on campus.

“ Luckily, we have offices on campus like the CLEAR office,” Wilson said. “They help support the environment for the college population and for our Aggies. Teen Dating violence is something that can happen to anyone and it is important for students to know how to identify that. Many students are at different stances about dating violence, which is why it is an important discussion to have.”