Junior Adela Cernousek tees off during the Bryan Regional of the NCAA Women’s Golf Championship at Traditions Golf Club on Monday, May 6, 2024. (Chris Swann/ The Battalion)
Aggies advance to NCAA Championships with fifth place in Bryan Regional

Texas A&M women’s golf coach Gerrod Chadwell may not be happy with the way his team wrapped up the NCAA Bryan Regional, but he can’t...

Stop the Crisis’: Group condemns ISIS

Photo By: Shelby Knowles
Salman Munir, president of AMSA, discusses misconceptions of Islam due to ISIS extremism Monday.
Photo By: Shelby Knowles Salman Munir, president of AMSA, discusses misconceptions of Islam due to ISIS extremism Monday.

Radicalization is the result of a deeper global problem, not Islam; that was the message of speakers at the “Stop the Crisis” campaign event in the MSC Monday night.
The event, hosted by the Ahmadiyya Muslim Student Association focused on condemning both the Islamic State group’s recent violence and radical ideology while also educating non-Muslims about the truth surrounding the Islamic faith.
Salman Munir, biology sophomore and president of AMSA, said radicalization is a problem that occurs among all people, but due to the recent violence at the hands of the Islamic State group and other extremist terrorist organizations, a growing misconception among non-Muslims is that Islam steers people toward violence and extremism.
“Today we see an extremely minute handful of Muslims deviating towards extremism and radicalization,” Munir said. “We know it is not Islam that motivates them — it is just another handful of warped individuals that use violence to further their political goals.”
Munir said that any peace-loving Muslim feels pain when Islam is tarnished and exploited by organizations such as the Islamic State group, contrary to what many non-Muslims would believe.
“There is, in reality, a great shortage of correct information on Islam, which along with the actions of groups like ISIS is the reason why there are so many misunderstanding around it,” Munir said.
The purpose of the “Stop The Crisis” campaign is to defeat radical ideology by countering it with a narrative to disarm the harmful ideas before they can take root, Munir said.
Dr. Bilal Rana, president of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Youth Association, said the Islamic State group appeals to the sentiments of young Muslims by falsely claiming to fight in the name of Islam.
“They have gathered young and restless youth, frustrated by life, and prepared them to give their lives for an unjust and an unholy cause,” Rana said. “They wish to remove current Muslim governments and in seizing their power establish a so-called ‘Islamic State’ — this is their empty vision and basic plot to destroy peace in the world.”
Rana said the world shouldn’t be solely focused on the youth’s fixation with the Islamic State, but on their affinity to radicalize in general.
“Every year in this country hundreds of youths give themselves to violent street gangs, and just like ISIS you have the Bloods, the Crips, and the Latin Kings,” Rana said. “Every few months we hear of some suburban caucasian-American child who, for whatever reason, is angry or confused by the world he lives in and needs to take revenge on innocent lives.”
The only way to resolve this extreme behavior is to show troubled youth the love, affection and human kindness that they lacked in the first place, Rana said.
“We believe that the root of this issue is a global society moving away from God, and losing our ability to reflect his attributes, love, mercy, and true justice,” Rana said. “If you have a pure and honest love for God, then you will embody, then love, for his creation also.”