Stubblefield paces Aggies to victory, 5-1

Tyler Stubblefield’s career high 6.1 innings pitched led the No. 18 Texas A&M baseball team past the Houston Baptist Huskies on a foggy Tuesday night with a final score of 5-1.
Stubblefield (1-0, 0.74), who was making just his second career start, also posted a career high in strikeouts with nine. Stubblefield left the game with men on first and second base in the top of the seventh, being relieved by junior right-hander Jason Freeman. After an errant throw from Aggie sophomore shortstop Logan Taylor allowed HBU junior center fielder Zach Nehrir to score, Freeman was relieved in favor of righty Andrew Vinson.
Vinson struck out the next batter looking on a 78 mile per hour curveball, ending the inning and Stubblefield’s final line. Stubblefield gave up three hits, two walks and one unearned run on 89 pitches.
“It all started on the mound for us tonight,” said A&M head coach Rob Childress. “He has been fantastic in relief and both starts. He has an outstanding fastball that really gets on you.”
Junior designated hitter Logan Nottebrok put the Aggies on the board in the first inning before HBU starting pitcher Ross Hennell could record an out, roping a single to right-center and scoring Blake Allemand.
A&M would break the game open in the second inning, scoring four runs on three hits, two hit batters and a walk. The inning started with freshman Ronnie Gideon being hit by a pitch, eventually crossing the plate after a bases-loaded single through the left side of the infield from sophomore J.B. Moss. The inning marked the sixth time the Aggies scored four or more runs in a frame.
In both of Stubblefield’s starts this year, he has been greeted with early run support from his teammates, including five runs in the first two innings on Tuesday.
“I always know they are going to give it to me, so I just go out there with one thing on my mind – just pitch,” Stubblefield said.
A&M (7-1) hits the road for the first time this season as it travels to California to play a three-game series against Fresno State (6-2) this weekend.