Student body elects Reid Joseph

Academic Plaza swayed with a sound more familiar to Kyle Field after Reid Joseph was named student body president-elect. In celebration of his sons victory, Tom Joseph, Class of 1983 and former head Yell Leader, once again led students in the singing of the Aggie War Hymn from atop the Sul Ross Statue.
Reid Joseph received 7,865 votes, more than 62 percent.
[Reid] was born to the Aggie War Hymn, Tom said. Reid told me at the beginning of this campaign that he is running for SBP because this University has given him so much and it was time for him to give back to this great University.
Reid was short of breath and his voice was hoarse when he shared his reaction to the victory.
From the beginning we both knew we couldnt control the results. It was all up to the Lord, Reid said. For this campaign, we based our success on how we treated others and made sure to represent the Aggie core values and ultimately how we represented Christ. The Lord is so faithful. I am so humbled to be in this position.
Junior political science and communications double major and newly elected liberal arts senator, Holly Scott has confidence in Reids ability.
I think he understands the role of the office very well and I think that he will be great at it, she said.
Five for Yell was elected to serve as 2013-2014 yell leaders.
Personally I know all the guys really well, theyre all very deserving very excited, said junior history major Stephen Feith.
Senior yell leaders elected were Chris Powell, Ryan Crawford, Hunter Cook and junior yell leaders elected were Roy May and Patrick McGinty.
Ive known Reid since I was a freshman. He is so selfless and will lead this University in the right direction, said junior philosophy major Layne Johnson.
Mariel Fontaine, Class of 2012, expressed initial concern for the way voting would be done but in the end was satisfied with the result.
I worked for both the Reid campaign and the 5 for yell campaign, Fontaine said. There were so many questions regarding the new election voting system so its a really good feeling that all our hard work paid off.
A total of 13,628 ballots were cast.
“Last College Station City Council election: 6,000 total ballot count. More people vote for their yell leader than your mayor,” Fontaine siad.
SGAs Kyle Field referendum results were also announced. 8,049 students voted in opposition to increasing sports pass prices and fees, and support funding the renovations out of funds currently generated by the University Advancement Fee.