Student body president ends in run-off between Robinson and Sims

The race for student body president almost ended without a run-off as Jacob Robinson was 14 votes away from taking the necessary 50 percent of the vote.
Instead, Robinson, who won 49.896 percent of the vote, will run against Bryan Sims, who received 27.29 percent of the vote, in a run-off election next week.
Almost 12,000 students voted in the elections.
Robinson was looking toward the upcoming campaign days after the announcement Thursday night.
“It’s amazing. We had great help,” Robinson said. “I’m looking forward to two more days. I’m glad we get to campaign more with a great team.”
Even with more days of hard campaigning, candidates are excited about the opportunity to show the student body the desire for the position of serving as student body president.
“It’s all worth it,” Sims said. “Seeing the look on the campaigners’ faces is all worth it. [We’re just going to] keep going at it strong.”
Although Robinson came close to winning outright, the election will begin with a clean slate for both candidates. Campaigning for the run-offs began 10 p.m. Thursday.
The campaigners are excited for the opportunity to spend more time spreading their message to Aggies.
“I’d say this is one of my best moments in college,” said Brad Dickens, member of the Sims campaign. “No one said we had a chance at all. Just to be here feels like we won.”
The excitement after the announcement has given them more energy for the next week.
“We are very excited,” said Coral Zelon, Robinson’s campaign manager. “We knew this was a possibility. We couldn’t be more pumped. Just two more days, and we just have to get everyone else pumped.”
In the yell leader races, the five candidates from 5 for Yell almost swept the ballot. Candidates Travis Kennedy, John Busch and Brett Bergamo were elected as the 2010-2011 senior yell leaders.
In the race for junior yell leader, Austin Trahan was elected with greater than 50 percent of the vote. There will be a run-off for the final junior yell leader position between David Benac, who received 46.18 percent of the vote, and Michael Riemer, who won 23.26 percent.
“It’s a honor to be picked by your peers, especially on this large of a scale,” said David Benac, junior yell leader candidate. “It’s a blessing.”
“I don’t know what to say,” candidate Michael Riemer said. “I’m thankful for everyone’s support. I’m looking forward to two more days of campaigning.”
Voting for the run-offs will be on Tuesday and Wednesday. The final announcement will be at 9 p.m. Wednesday.