Student Conference on Latinx Affairs prepares for its 30th anniversary

SCOLA
SCOLA

MSC Student Conference on Latinx Affairs (SCOLA) is approaching its 30th annual three-day conference, which provides a platform for students to participate in discussion about relevant Latinx topics.
The conference, titled Influential Voices: Shaping Perspective Through Representation, will be held April 5-7 at the MSC and will feature keynote speaker Diane Guerrero, a prominent entertainer and former White House Ambassador for Citizenship and Naturalization.
Speaker lectures and discussions at the conference will be centered around this year’s theme of influential voices, according to Jose Nerio II, technology management senior and vice chair of programs.
“This is giving people who paved the way in history, who are part of the Latinx community, to give us the opportunity to continue doing so,” Nerio said. “And we hope to continue doing what they did for us for future generations.”
SCOLA brings approximately 200 student delegates from multiple schools across Texas and the U.S., according to Breanna Hernandez, psychology senior and director of marketing
“We’ve never has anyone as big as Diane Guerrero, so I think that’s a really big milestone,” Hernandez said.
Having speakers from the Latinx community who have gained success is an important part of SCOLA, according to Hernandez.
“I would say it’s an inspirational thing, how they came from the same environment as a lot of us do and they still become something,” Hernandez said. “They try to share that — how to be professional and still be true to who you are.”
Students registered as delegates are able to participate in roundtables and workshops, but speaker Diane Guerrero is open to the public, according to Jonathan Chavez Gomez, sociology junior and entertainment coordinator.
Nerio said he is excited to have a relevant Latina figure like Diane Guerrero speak during this year’s conference.
“Especially with her story and how she overcame the stigma that is having a family that’s undocumented really speaks to what a lot of our delegates are going through,” Nerio said. “It gives not only a sense of relatability but would give people who might not know her story a chance to listen.”
Students on SCOLA staff have experienced personal growth while preparing for the conference and they look forward to seeing their efforts pay off, Gomez said.
“It’s really interesting seeing how different work ethics come together, because everybody was raised differently, but we all have to come together and be hardworking to get this conference done,” Gomez said.
Within the past year, SCOLA transitioned from being a sub-committee of MSC CAMAC, a Latinx programming board, to its own MSC committee, according to Nerio.
“We really think our work our work is something that should be recognized as its own, although we do appreciate CAMAC for what it’s given us,” Nerio said. “I think it’s kind of time for us to grow and see what we can do on our own.”
Staff members invite students and members of the community surrounding A&M to attend their keynote speaker’s presentation.
“We’re happy to give the community and the people of Bryan-College Station the opportunity to see what we’re aiming towards each year,” Nerio said. “If you’re interested in hearing about what’s going on in the Latinx community, you should go ahead and see what events SCOLA is putting on.”
The full schedule of events is available at http://scola.tamu.edu/agenda/ and tickets for A Conversation with Diane Guerrero are available for purchase at https://boxoffice.tamu.edu/Online/default.asp.