Student falls short in bid for City Council seat

Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION
Junior Gabriel Pereira earned 23 percent of the vote Tuesday.
Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION Junior Gabriel Pereira earned 23 percent of the vote Tuesday.

Although political science junior Gabriel Pereira did not win the seat in the College Station City Council for which he campaigned, Pereira said the campaign has been a positive experience for him.
Pereira, a member in the Corps of Cadets, was the first student to run for City Council since 2010. He was defeated by Blanche Brick in the Place 1 election Tuesday, gaining 23 percent of the vote.
He said he was pleased with the outcome of getting almost a quarter of the votes. Pereira said with more time, he believes he would have been able to get more support from the Texas A&M student body, but he supports those who did get elected.
Pereira said he ran because he wanted to emphasize student-city relationships. Pereira said the campaigning process showed him what it takes to run a campaign.
“I learned what I need to know and need to do to run a campaign, what’s necessary for the infrastructure and about [the millennial] generation and what it takes to get them engaged in voting,” Pereira said.
Now the midterm elections are over, Pereira said he wants to be more involved in his on-campus organizations.
“I am the treasurer of the cycling team, [chairman] of the Texas A&M College Republicans, and my attention has been diverted from those, so I look forward to focusing on those now,” Pereira said.