Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Student Government Association Election Commissioner resigns

After several weeks of foul-ups and accusations of mishandling the election process, SGA Election Commissioner Jake Bathman resigned his post Thursday. In a letter to the current Student Body President Conner Prochaska, Bathman said that despite the errors in this election cycle, he hopes the student body can regain faith in the electoral process. “Newly elected officials need to have faith that this process was conducted fairly and as regulated as possible,” Bathman said, “and my betrayal of that trust with a miscellany of minor errors and lapses does not entirely ensure that students may have full confidence in that integrity.” Ashlie Sears, director of administration for the election commission, will fill the vacated position for the rest of the semester. Last week, Bathman was charged with violating election policies when he allowed several Student Senate candidates to file for election after the deadline. Accusations of poor managerial effectiveness were also given because many of the Student Senate seats, eight of the 64, had no candidate file for election. In the hearing, conducted by the SGA Performance and Review committee, Bathman faced dismissal, but was allowed to continue as election commissioner.