Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 11, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Ring Day run rule
Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • April 12, 2024

It was Ring Day in Aggieland when No. 3 Texas A&M faced off against No. 6 Vanderbilt on Friday night in the first game of a three-game set. The...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Student Health Services improving Beutel facility

Student Health Services are making changes to improve access and appointment availability at A.P. Beutel Health Center.
A new ramp, steps and automatic doors along with the ability to check appointment times online are some changes that have already been implemented at the center.
Russell Klinkenberg, senior associate director for Student Health Services, said the improvements were necessary to accommodate the increased student population.
“The center was built to service 18,000 students,” he said. “Now there are about 45,000 students to serve.”
Klinkenberg said the online clinic availability checking system is a wonderful new tool for students.
“It’s so easy for students to log in and check to see what times are available and convenient for them,” he said.
Students can check for clinic availability by going to the Student Health Services Web site (http://shs.tamu.edu). Students must then call the health center appointment line to reserve a particular appointment time.
“The system runs in real time as long as there is interaction on the Web site,” Klinkenberg said.
Online appointment reservations, he said, will be available in about six months to a year.
The health services fee at A&M is $55 a semester, which entitles students to unlimited clinic visits.
Klinkenberg said the fee is the second lowest among the Big 12 schools behind Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, which charge students $54 a semester.
Scott Draper, assistant director for Student Health Services, said it’s beneficial for students to use the health center.
“If you visit your family physician, there is an insurance co-pay,” Draper said. “Here there’s no co-pay.”
Beyond clinic visits, students are responsible for paying for X-rays, lab tests, physical therapy and prescriptions from the pharmacy.
Draper said a lot of the costs may be covered by student’s personal health insurance.
“We give students the equivalent of a billing form to turn in to their insurance provider,” he said.
The services that the center charges extra for, Draper said, are equal to or below what other health care providers charge.
“You are not required to use our services, but shop around,” he said.Klinkenberg said they don’t want to replace a student’s family physician.
“We just want to be a viable, convenient choice for students,” he said.
Another change at Beutel is the addition of a pharmacy at the front entrance.
Jyane Pearson, chief pharmacist at Beutel, said she hopes the new pharmacy will be open by mid-March.
“It’ll be nice to get out of the basement,” she said.
The new pharmacy will be large enough to store all the drugs and useful documents they need in one area, Pearson said.
“The main benefit of the new pharmacy is increased visibility and accessibility for students,” she said.
Klinkenberg said besides primary health care, that Student Health Services’ main focus is to educate students about health care issues.
“We are an introduction to self-education,” he said. “We want to prepare students for health care beyond us.”
Klinkenberg said the lines at the front door of Beutel have been eliminated because they are trying to address privacy concerns of patients and become a more appointment-based clinic.
Eventually, he said, there will be an information desk up front that will direct patients to the right area of the clinic.
Draper said they are trying to encourage students to become educated about health concerns and to use the health center for that reason.
“You are going to see us out there changing our image,” Draper said.
“Overall, we hope that students look to us for their