Student hit on University

A Texas A&M student who was hit by a car while attempting to cross University Drive Monday is recovering at home after being treated for minor injuries.
Patricia Hickey, a freshman general studies major, was hit at 6:45 p.m. while crossing the University Dr. and College Main intersection. She had X-rays taken at the College Station Medical Center, said Officer Thomas Brown of the College Station Police Department.
The driver, Prabir Daripa, had the driver’s side window of his Toyota Camry shattered after hitting Hickey. He stopped immediately and returned to help her, witnesses said.
Hickey said as she began to cross the road, the light was red, but then turned green.
“It was really my fault,” she said. “I got freaked out by the oncoming lights (of the cars) and froze.”
Jacque Bezner, a freshman math major, was riding the bus home and witnessed the events immeditely following the collision.
“I saw all these cars swerving around,” she said. “The bus went real slow around a pickup truck, and I thought it was a traffic jam.”
Bezner said the truck stopped to keep anyone else from hitting Hickey on the dark street. She said she saw Hickey laying in the street face down as the bus went by. Bezner then saw the driver returning to help.
“The guy was running back to the girl, like it had just happened,” she said.
Hickey said she was trying to get home before it began to rain.
“I’m really lucky,” Hickey said. “It could have been a lot, lot worse.”