Student killed in motorcycle accident

College Station police officers responded to a fatal motorcycle accident at 6:45 a.m. Monday, according to a CSPD press release.

According to the release, the person who reported the accident saw a damaged motorcycle on the side of the road on Harvey Road, stopped to check the area and found the rider of the motorcycle in a ditch near the bike. Emergency medical personnel who were called to the scene discovered the rider had already died from injuries sustained in the accident, according to the press release.

The rider of the motorcycle has been identified as James Douglass Pitcher, a 21-year-old student at Texas A&M.

Evidence so far shows that the motorcycle, traveling west on Harvey Road, left the paved area for an unknown reason, and at some point, Douglass was ejected while the bike drove through a ditch. The motorcycle and Douglass were found about 460 feet from where the bike originally left the road. Douglass was wearing a helmet.  

Investigation of the accident is ongoing. Anyone with information is urged to contact CSPD at 979-764-3600.